Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Caramel Apples...MMMMM!

Caramel Apple Recipe

1 pound brown sugar
2 sticks of room temp butter
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14oz)
1 cup light corn syrup
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp of salt
12 apples
12 dowels or craft sticks

combine ingredients in a 2-3 qrt sauce pan. Heat at medium low temp. stirring constantly but slowly and frequently scrapping the bottom of the pan. Cook caramel to the soft ball stage (236) degrees. Pour into a small deep metal of heat proof bowl and let cool to 200 degrees. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. While caramel cools, you can prepare other toppings for the apples.
Melt white chocolate
Prepare cinnamon sugar
3 T. sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp. apple pie spice
Push a dowel or stick into the top of each apple. Dip apples into caramel using a straight up and down motion. Too much agitation causes the caramel to separate and become oily. Place dipped apples on baking sheet and place in the fridge for 15 to 20 min. Next, dip caramel apples into chocolate. Then, spinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture on top. Enjoy!


I got a surprise at my door when my friend Jody dropped off a pretty wrapped caramel apple...Can I just say it was so yummy that I asked for the recipe to make for my family and also give one to each of the kid's teachers for a "Back to school" treat. Thanks so much for the idea girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yummy! That almost makes me anxious for fall!

Delicious i bet! There's a store at the mall that sells apples like that for about $5 each.

gigi said...

Those look amazingly yummy! I think I need to give them a try soon! Thanks for sharing the recipe.